It was our first time to cover Bakood Festival and it was a great opportunity to watch marching bands from different provinces and region of the country as they gallantly paraded their costumes and uniforms for the whole day in the streets of Poblacion in Bacoor, Cavite last Saturday.
The Marching Bands Parade was part of the Bakood Festival 2016 MUSIKO and Bacoor’s 345th Founding Anniversary celebration highlighted with the Drum Battle, Show Competition, and Awarding Ceremony attended by town head Mayor Lani Mercado-Revilla.
This blog was part of the social media and online sites who were invited by Edwin Guinto of the Bacoor City Tourism Office to cover the annual celebration of his town.
Joining us in this coverage were Azrael Coladilla of Azrael’s Merryland; Alyzza Sanchez of AlyzzaSanchez.com ; Aci Bornea of Adventures of Aci; Ted Claudio of WazzUp.PH; and Lace Llanora of Mommy Lace.
With the joint effort of PASAMBAP (Pambansang Samahan ng Mga Banda Sa Pilipinas), this year’s Bakood Festival was really special. They flew in four international judges who were assigned on different criteria of the competition. The judges for Bakood Festival 2016 were Saturnino Tiamson, Jr. (Hong Kong); Katsumi Okawa (Japan); Kasem Thipaya Metrakul (Thailand); and Nipat Kanchanahud (Thailand). Bakood Festival 2016 overall competition was divided into three criteria: Music, Visual, and General Effect with a total of nine judges using the international judging system.
A total of 53 participating marching bands made the day more colorful and festive through their performances in the streets and during the show competition inside Bacoor Government Center’s covered gymnasium.
List of 53 Marching Bands #BakoodFestival2016
0. Mall of Asia Marching Band
1. Citizens’ Brigade Band of Dasmariñas – Dasmariñas City
2. Mariners Polytechnic Colleges Foundation Legaspi City Albay Marching Band and Majorettes – Legazpi, Albay
3. Davao Blue Eagles Marching Band – Davao City
4. Banda San Jose – Las Piñas City
5. Banda Kabyaw Incorporated – Cabiao, Nueva Ecija
6. University of Luzon Drum and Bugle Corps – Dagupan City
7. Angono Wind Ensemble – Angono, Rizal
8. San Lorenzo Ruiz Band 2003, Inc. – Bacoor City
9. Cabiao Band 96 – Cabiao, Nueva Ecija
10. Santa Maria De Bethania Marching Show Band – Sta. Maria, Bulacan
11. The Dragons Of The Cabiao Youth Concert Band 88 – Cabiao, Nueva Ecija
12. Banda Independente 22 – Pililla, Rizal
13. Digos City Natiomal High School Marching Band – Digos City
14. Family Band Bacoor Association, Inc. – Bacoor City
15. D’ Original Band Of Prof. Hilariin F. Rubio – Bacoor City
16. Saint Nicolas Band – Parañaque City
17. Carmona Cavite Marching Band 2013 – Carmona, Cavite
18. Landayan Brass Band – San Pedro, Laguna
19. Nuestra Señora Dela Paz Band 25 – Maragondon, Cavite
20. Peñaranda Band – Peñaranda, Nueva Ecija
21. VSPV Regiment Drum ans Bugle Corps – Cavite City
22. Banda Kabataan 77 – Bailen, Cavite
23. Our Lady Of Mediatrix Band – Bacoor City
24. Banda Sta. Monica – Tanza, Cavite
25.Banda Santo Tomas – Sto. Tomas, Batangas
26. Banda San Pedro 22 – San Pedro, Laguna
27. Primero 1 Band – Maragondon, Cavite
28. Banda 3 – San Pedro, Laguna
29. Power Seven Youth Club – Bacoor City
30. Unity Band 10 – Bailen, Cavite
31. Holy Rosary Youth Band – Rosario, Cavite
32. 96 Band – Bacoor City
33. Banda Maliksi Uno 45 – Bacoor City
34. Mardicas Band – Ternate, Cavite
35. Anak Zapote Band – Bacoor.City
36. Banda Niog – Bacoor City
37. Rizal Technological University Brass Band – Mandaluyong City
38. Banda Dos Banalo – Bacoor City
39. Pililla Regiment Band – Pililla, Rizal
40. Banda El Gobernador Association, Inc. – Bacoor City
41. St. Joseph Band 98 – Bailen, Cavite
42. Imus Youth Symphonic Band 83 – Imus City
43. St. Michael’s Symphonic Band – Bacoor City
44. Butiong Band 4 – Lian, Batangas
45. Banda Uno Bacoor Cavite – Bacoor City
46. Boys Of Caridad Troop 45 – Cavite City
47. Banda 26 Sta. Ana – Taguig City
48. Banda Otcho Manalo – Taguig City
49. Banda 1 Palingon – Tipas Youth Symphonic Band – Taguig City
50. Pandacan Community Band – Manila
51. Black Nazarene Banda Quatro – Bacoor City
52. Banda 8 – Bacoor City
The first 13 marching bands participated during the Show Competition program.
Bacoor City has the largest number of marching bands in the Philippines with a total of 15 marching bands. Bacoor City is also known as the Marching Band Capital of the Philippines.
Prizes and Certificates
Prizes given away for the Best in Parade were P50,000, P30,000, P20,000, P10,000, and P5,000 in cash. Special Awards were also given to the Best Band Major and Best Group Majorette. For the Drum Battle, the committee of judges awarded 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
For the Best in Show Competition, a grand P100,000 csh prize was awarded to the winner.
Cash prizes, according to Guinto, were not the driving factors that motivated the marching bands. It’s the prestige of joining the competition that is important to them. PASAMBAP Vice President also mentioned that marching bands who joined the yearly competition aspire to learn more and get exposed to this tradition.
Next year will be the grandest for Bacoor City and PASAMBAP as they are preparing as early as last year for the upcoming 2017 MUSIKO: The International Marching Band Competition with delegates coming from Shanghai, Hong Kong, Indonesia, and Thailand. There will be 25 categories for the international competition next year. It’s going to be the first in the Philippines to hold a grand and international musical sports competition and the Bacoor City government is excited for this to happen.
Bakood Festival 2016 MUSIKO (Marching Band Parade, Drum Battle, and Show Competition) was also a joint effort of Bacoor City (LGU), Mayor Lani Mercado-Revilla, Vice-Mayor Catherine Sarino-Evaristo, Bacoor City League of Councilors, PASAMBAP (Pambansang Samahan ng Mga Banda sa Pilipinas), Cavite City Vice Governor Jolo Revilla and Governor Jesus ‘Boying’ Remulla, and Cong. Strike B. Revilla, District Representative, Cavite.
Viewed 128403 times by 7001 viewers