It’s the Year of the Wooden Horse and this coming January 31, will officially celebrate the Chinese New Year with a Dragon & Lion Dance presentation at the Manila Hotel with festive flair.
Currently, the Manila Hotel kicked-off 2014 with the return of the Grand Dame promo where from January 12 to 14 and 24 to 31, guests can enjoy their three-day stay at the hotel and experience true five-star Filipino hospitality starting at Php 6,000 on the first night; Php 3,000 on the second night; and absolutely FREE on the third!
If those aren’t enough for you, then here are 5 interesting facts to get you more excited on your Manila Hotel stay.
1. Manila Hotel is celebrating 102th anniversary this year. Manila Hotel is the oldest and a true heritage hotel in the Philippines. Built and opened in 1912 and extensively remodeled in the 1970s, theManila Hotel is a Philippine landmark, home to high society and often a scene of historic events.
2. Gen. Douglas MacArthur stayed for 6 years in Manila Hotel. During the period of World War II, Gen. MacArthur, his wife Jean and son Arthur made Manila Hotel their home. Commonwealth President Manuel Quezon invited General Douglas MacArthur to build the Philippine army in 1935, Gen MacArthur responded to the request of his long confidant and sailed back to the Philippines. During his tenure as the Military advisor to the Commonwealth Government of the Philippines, he was given the honorary title of “General Manager”.
3. Manila Hotel has 526 rooms and two suites: MacArthur Suite and Sunrise/Sunset Suite. Manila Hotel offers more than 500 guests rooms that are all equipped with modern amenities designed for comfort. The rooms are all exquisitely decorated in a classic Filipinina theme visible in the use of capiz shells, wood furniture, and paintings by Filipino artists. Each room is spaciously outfitted with advanced in-room technology and takes advantage of the hotel’s location with the rooms overlooking the Manila Bay, the magnificent sunset, or the fascinating view of Intramuros.
4. Manila Hotel showcases ‘colonial with a twist’ fashion. In recognizing the changing of times and the pursuit of satisfying the guests even more, the management of Manila Hotel are now bound with ‘costumes not uniforms’ attires for each and every hotel personnel. This idea came in part of the redesigning of the atmosphere inside the hotel.
There are about 9 function rooms inside the hotel namely: Fiesta Pavilion; Centennial Hall; Millennium Hall; Maynila Ballroom; Sampaguita Hall; Champagne Salon; Mabuhay Palace Function Rooms; Roma Salon; and Tent City.
5. Famous people who visited and stayed at the Manila Hotel.
1935-1941 – Gen. Douglas MacArthur.
July 4, 1946 – Bob Hope, Marlon Brando, Tyrone Power, Secretary John Foster Dulles, Senator Robert Kennedy, Sir Anthony Eden, Charlton Heston, Burgees Meredith, the Rockefeller brothers, John Wayne, Publisher Henry Luce, Vice President Richard Nixon, President Dwight Eisenhower and Lyndon B. Johnson, and notable personalities.
July 4, 1966 – The Beatles.
October 1966 – Delegates of ASEAN Summit Meeting.
1970 – 320 delegates of Philippine Constitutional Convention that includes former Presidents Diosdado Macapagal and Carlos Garcia.
October 20, 1987 – Cory Aquino delivered a speech at the Hotel that became the turning point in her campaign.
December 7-11, 1988 – The 19th General Assembly of the World Veterans Federation was held at the Hotel. Distinguished personalities who attended the event were then Secretary of National Defense Fidel V. Ramos; Mr. W. W. Ch. J. M. Van Lanschot, President of the World Veterans Federation; Col. Emmanuel V. De Ocampo, President of the Veterans Federation of the Philippines and Chairman of Hosting Committee; Gen. Ernesto Gidaya, Administrator of the Philippine Veterans Affairs Office.
Dec. 7, 1996 – Michael Jackson distributed gifts for the annual Orphan’s Christmas Party where 300 children from different orphanages around Metro Manila.
1998- Their Majesties King Juan Carlos de Bourbon and Queen Sofia of Spain were in the Philippines for an official visit.
1999– His Serene Highness Crowne Prince Albert of Monaco was in the Philippines for an official visit.
2000– Visit of Norodom Ranariddh, Prince of Cambodia, and Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto of Pakistan.
2001– Visit of Indonesia President Megawati Sukarnoputri.
2002– Visit of Romania President Ion Iliescu.
2004– Visit of His Excellency Dr. Saleh Abdullah Bin, President of Saudi Arabia.
2005- Visit of South Korea President Roh Moo-Hyun.
2008- Original members of the legendary American band Earth, Wind and Fire came to Manila for a one night concert at the Philippine International Convention Center.
November 20, 2010– Former US President Bill Clinton visited the country for a speaking engagement on his insights and views on global issues and concerns. The conference, with the theme Embracing Our Common Humanity Seminar, was held at the Manila Hotel Tent.
March 24, 2011– Irina Bokova, United Nations Educational Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Director General, was in Manila for bilateral meetings with government officials to discuss the participation of the Philippines in UNESCO.
April 14, 2011- Members from the European Union had a luncheon at the Presidential Salon. The annual seminar of the EU discussed, among others, the findings of the evaluation of the EU aid programme with Philippine stakeholders.
May 10, 2011- Bb. Pilipinas 2011 winners led by Bb. Pilipinas Shamcey Supsup had a lucheon at the Champagne Room.
September 03, 2011- Manila Hotel hosted the Pacquiao-Marquez World Press Tour at the Rigodon Ballroom.
September 13, 2011- Ms. World Philippines Gala and Charity Dinner was held the Fiesta Pavilion. The dinner, dubbed as Beauty with a Purpose, raised funds for the Ms. World charities around the world.
September 17, 2011- Finalists of the American Idol 2011 was in the Philippines for their last leg of the American Idol Live! Tour 2011 Press Conference.
November 2011- South Korea President Lee Myun-Bak was in the Philippines for an official state visit at the invitation of President Benigno S. Aquino III.
January 17, 2012– US Senators John McCain, Joseph Lieberman, Sheldon Whitehouse, and Kelly Ayotte were in the country for a three-day courtesy call promoting bilateral relations.
February 2012- Fuerza Bruta, a theater and interactive show from Buenos Aires, performed at the Manila Hotel Tent.
July 4, 2012- Manila Hotel celebrates its 100th Anniversary with a Grand Centennial Ball at the Manila Hotel Tent. Event’s highlights include the unveiling of the Hotel’s centennial logo, a 3D video mapping projections of the Hotel’s history bringing the Hotel’s building to life, and a grand ball featuring elaborate dance performance by Filipino artists.
July 27, 2012- Primetime news show TV Patrol celebrated its 25th anniversary at the Fiesta Pavilion with guest of honor, His Excellency President Benigno S. Aquino III.
Viewed 28316 times by 3785 viewers