Microsoft Lumia 950 XL is the current Lumia series top of the line Windows smartphone that has the latest camera technology and running on a Windows 10 OS.
The Lumia 950 XL Continuum combines smartphone and desktop experience with features like the Windows Tiles that fans will appreciate.
What’s inside the box?
- Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
- Product user guide
- USB-C cable
The design is remarkable with its 5.7-inch size AMOLED covered with Gorilla Glass 4 sheet that gives a corporate and executive look and hefty feel.
The Windows desktop experience is brought with ease into the mobile handset where you can conveniently take it anywhere, plug to external monitor with Microsoft Display Dock, manage your Outlook emails, Word documents, and enjoy it just like using your home desktop.
Best bet for mobile photography
For mobile photography, the camera specs and features are built that will not disappoint the shutterbug you.
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL boasts of the backside-illuminated image sensor, PureView, True 16:9 sensor, Fast Focus, High resolution zoom, side by side the 20MP rear lens, f/1.9, 6-lens optics, 26mm focal length, and with optical image stabilization.
Front camera kicks with a 5MP Full HD wide angle with f/2.5 aperture and camera video resolution at 1080p.
Video recordings on 4K of 30 fps video frame rate.
Sound quality is very much impressive also. Clear audio output makes video recordings more fun with the Lumia 950 XL.
Under the hood
Under the hood is another impressive quality with Snapdragon 810 octa-core processor. The phone also boasts of 3GB of RAM and 32GB expandable storage. Network is 4G/LTE connectivity.
Another best feature of the Lumia 950 XL is the removable 3340 mAh Li-Ion battery. It is fast charging and wireless charging compatible.
Things to consider
With most of the specs and features promising greatness, there are things that I think need slight considerations.
First is the limited choices of apps available in the Windows Store for you to enjoy full performance of the Lumia 950 XL. I was excited to install Grab, a mobile-for-ride sharing app, but it wasn’t available on the store. I also looked up for banking apps, BPI and BDO, which I frequently use and they’re not also listed.
Though most of the social media apps like Twitter and Vine are readily available as the same as its iOS and Android counterparts, Instagram is still on Beta.
Secondly, the dual nano SIM slots, though a welcome feature, fails to bat a home-run because average users of today are still subscribed with micro SIMs. It would help a lot if the slots were meant for one nano and the other a micro SIM.
And thirdly, while I don’t see the USB-C cable type a less of a feature, until users learn to embrace this latest development in USB technology, it may come a little early for smartphone users to pick up the greatness of the USB-C fast-charging connection.
As I’ve mentioned, the Lumia 950 XL is more of a photographer’s best bet for mobile photography. It has powerful camera and video features that will put some of the leading handset brands a run for their money.
One thing’s for sure. You’ll enjoy capturing living images on your Microsoft Lumia 950 XL just like the Moving Photographs experience from Harry Potter movie.
For a sum of PHP 32,990 retail price, Lumia 950 XL is not like any other gadget you’ll be willing to compromise for your budget. If you buy it, there’s no turning back. Either you’re a Windows faithful or you’re in search for a great mobile camera, the Lumia 950 XL will work fantastic on you.
The Microsoft Lumia 950 XL has a one-year limited hardware warranty.
Below are the full specifications and features of the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
- Software release: Windows 10
- Display size: 5.7 ”
- Display resolution: WQHD (2560 x 1440)
- Display colours: TrueColor (24-bit/16M)
- Display technology: AMOLED, ClearBlack
- Pixel density: 518 ppi
- Display features: Orientation sensor, Sunlight readability enhancements, Easy to clean, High brightness mode, Lumia Color profile, Wide viewing angle, Corning Gorilla Glass 4, Automatic brightness control
- Touch screen technology: Capacitive multipoint-touch
Size & weight
- Height: 151.9 mm
- Width: 78.4 mm
- Thickness4: 8.1 mm
- Weight: 165 g
- Mass memory: 32 GB
- RAM: 3 GB
- Maximum memory card size: 200 GB
- Expandable memory card type: MicroSD
- User data storage: In device, OneDrive cloud storage, App and data storage on memory card
- Design details: Exchangeable back cover
- Other user interface features: Glance screen, Tactile feedback, Voice commands, Voice dictation in edit fields
- CPU name: Qualcomm Snapdragon 810
- Number of cores: Octa core
- Clock rate: 2000 MHz
- Main camera: 20.0 MP
- Main camera focus type: Auto focus with two-stage capture key
- Camera digital zoom: Yes
- Camera optics: 6-lens optics
- Stabilization: Optical image stabilization
- Oversampling: Yes
- Sensor size: 1/2.4 inch
- Main camera f-number/aperture: f/1.9
- Camera focal length: 26 mm
- Flash type: Natural flash
- Camera features: Backside-illuminated image sensor, PureView, True 16:9 sensor, Fast Focus, High resolution zoom
- Camera minimum focus range: 10 cm
- Front-facing camera
- Front camera: Full HD 5 MP wide angle
- Front camera f-number/aperture: f/2.4
- Front camera video resolution: 1080p (Full HD, 1920 x 1080)
- Video recording
- Main camera video resolution: 4K (Ultra HD, 3840 x 2160)
- Camera video frame rate: 30 fps
- Video recording features: Video zoom, Optical image stabilization, Continuous autofocus, Video light, Lumia Rich Recording with four microphones
- Video recording formats: MP4/H.264
- SIM card type: Nano SIM
- AV connectors: 3.5 mm stereo headset connector, DisplayPort over USB-C
- Charging connectors: USB-C
- System connectors: USB-C
- USB: USB 3.1, USB Dual Role Port (Gen1)
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.1
- Bluetooth profiles: Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) 1.2, Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) 1.3, Generic Attribute Profile (GATT), Hands-free profile (HFP) 1.6, Human Interface Device Profile (HID), Object Push profile (OPP) 1.1, Personal Area Network Profile (PAN) 1.0, Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) 1.1, HID over GATT profile (HOGP) 1.0, Message Access Profile (MAP) 1.1
- NFC: Pairing, Secure NFC for payment, Sharing, Tagging
- Wi-Fi: WLAN IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, MIMO, Wi-Fi call
- Wi-Fi hotspot: Up to 8 Wi-Fi-enabled devices
- Other wireless connectivity: Screen projection
- Replaceable battery: Yes
- Battery capacity: 3340 mAh
- Battery voltage: 3.85 V
- Charging3: Built-in wireless charging, Fast charging
- Wireless charging standard: Qi
- Maximum standby time: 12 days
- Maximum talk time (2G): 25 h
- Maximum talk time (3G): 19 h
- Maximum music playback time: 75 h
- Maximum Wi-Fi network browsing time: 11 h
- Maximum video playback time: 11 h
Overall, we rate the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL with a score of 4/5.
What do you think of the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL? Let us know in the comments below.
Viewed 166740 times by 4964 viewers