Sky lanterns, Chinese lanterns or Kongming lantern, are airborne paper lanterns that are part of Asian traditions since it was first deployed at the turn of the 3rd century in China. Also known as ‘wish lanterns’, the sky lantern is made up of specially made or oiled rice paper on a bamboo frame, and contain a small candle or fuel cell composed of a waxy flammable material called paraffin. When lit, the flame heats the air inside the lantern, thus lowering its density and causing the lantern to rise into the air. The sky lantern is only airborne for as long as the flame stays alight, after which the lantern sinks back to the ground.
The popularity of sky lanterns make the celebration of the coming year more exciting with the belief that it will bring good fortune by symbolically letting go of the previous year and wishing the best for the next. Though exciting as it can be, lighting sky lantern also poses danger and may lead to fire if steps are not properly followed. To enjoy an evening of enchanting entertainment, here are basic safety instructions on how to properly light up sky lanterns to avoid mishaps.
Safety instructions on how to properly light up sky lanterns
1. Carefully open the sky lantern from its package, making sure that it is not torn or damaged.
2. Hold the sky lantern in an upright position. Its round base must be leveled.
3. At least two persons must hold the top of the sky lantern on the four corners.
4. Each fuel cell has a wick. Light the fuel cell thru the wick and wait for the sky lantern to fill up with hot air.
5. When the flaps can support itself, you may hold the sky lantern on its round frame on the base and wait for it to fly on its own.
6. Do not toss the sky lantern or throw it upwards as it will lift off by itself when sufficient hot air has filled it up.
7. Launch the sky lantern only at wide open spaces, free from tall buildings, trees and power lines, 5 miles away from the airport and at a maximum wind speed of 5 mph.
8. Children should be supervised when they are present in launching the sky lantern.
Reminder: These instructions must be followed in order for the sky lanterns to be flown properly. However, despite the perfect conditions for flight, please understand that there are other factors which may affect the flight and stability of the lanterns such as user handling, humidity, atmospheric pressure and wind speed at certain altitudes. This website disclaims any responsibility resulting in misuse or accidents beyond our foresight and control. We therefore urge the user to launch the sky lanterns at optimal conditions and enjoy the experience responsibly.
for more interesting updates!
Light Up NUVALI – The year-end celebration
As another year ends, NUVALI, the country’s largest eco-city once again leads in celebrating the new year – the evoliving way with Light Up NUVALI, the annual year-end celebration.
From its successful launch held last year, Light Up NUVALI came back with more festive activities earlier today (December 30) starting off with arts & crafts lessons where people were taught to make various items such as resolution magnets or year long reminders, time capsules & eco-noise makers from water bottles.
The main event was the lighting of hundreds of sky lanterns where various stakeholders, online winners (Facebook), as well as participants who registered online gather at the infamous man-made lake beside the NUVALI Evoliving Center Dockside to release ‘wish lanterns’ into the cool tranquil NUVALI sky. The activity was also an opportunity to learn the proper way of using sky lanterns with experts and fire marshals present during the event to orient the public on this eco-friendly alternative to fireworks.
The lantern parade also showcased LED poi dancers, drummers and acoustic singers.
NUVALI is a thriving eco-city by Ayala Land – with a wide range of residential, retail, institutional, recreational and commercial offerings woven into green buffer areas, ravine parks, tree nurseries, green homes and sustainable infrastructure – that is constantly developing to be a regional growth hub not just in Laguna but in the entire CALABARZON area.
Light Up NUVALI also gave us the opportunity to participate in lighting our own sky lantern.
Viewed 28714 times by 5495 viewers